Cup and Sheild finals decided

Trophies and Shields in clubs cabinets:

John Murphy 12’s:

12’s Shield Final: Park B 1 -0 Killarney Celtic C

12’s Girls Cup Final: Listowel Celtic 3 – 1 Killarney Celtic

12’s Boys Cup Final: St Brendan’s Park 0–3 Killarney Celtic.

John Joe Naughton 13’s:

13’s Shield Final: Ballyheigue 2-6 Killarney Athletic

13’s Cup Final: Killorglin 0-4 Park

Tucker Kelly 16’s:

16’s Shield Final: Fenit 6-0 Park A

16’s Cup Final: Tralee Dynamos 1-3 Killarney Celtic

Munster WFAI U14 Final:

Killarney Celtic 4-0 Tulla United

League Results:

JK Sports 12 Premier:

Killarney Celtic 4-2 Listowel Celtic

Camp Juniors 0-2 Park A

Division 1:

Killarney Athletic 0-3 Mastergeeha

Division 2:

Park B 4-0 Tralee Dynamos B

Daly’s Supervalu 13 Premier:

Killarney Celtic 7-0 Camp Juniors.

Park A 3-0 Tralee Dynamos

Division 1:

Killarney Athletic 5-1 Killorglin

Foundation Sports 14 Premier:

Killorglin 1-3 Killarney Celtic

Division 1:

Camp Juniors 4-3 Mastergeeha

Division 2:

Listowel Celtic B 3-0 Park B

Killarney Plaza 15 Division 1:

Park B 3-0 Killarney Athletic

Tralee Trophy World 16 Division 1:

Fenit 2-2 Killarney Athletic


John Murphy 12’s Cup and Shield and Girls League Finals – Camp Sportsfield:

Matt’s the man for The Park:

The John Joe Murphy 12’s Cup and Shield Finals took place in Camp where the weather didn’t play ball but the pitch was in perfect condition. In the Shield a Matt Healy goal was enough to give The Park a 1-0 win over Killarney Celtic.

The Park opened the brightest but the best chance fell to Simon Coffey for Celtic. However Park keeper Hugh Emmerson made a very good save. At the other end Aaron O’Sullivan was also in great form on a difficult day for keepers. He made good saves from Rob Vassiou and Conor Brick.

Rob Vassiu was named Man of the Match.

Aoife star’s for Listowel Celtic:

Listowel Celtic and Killarney Celtic’s 12’s girls put on a great display in the 12 Girls Cup final in the worst of the conditions. The game was in the melting pot until well into the second half. Listowel Celtic scored the only goal of the first half through Aoife Horgan. Aoife, who was named Player of the Match, put her side 2-0 up early in the second period and Ciara Large made it 3-0 a few minutes later.

Credit to the Killarney Celtic girls as they never gave up and pulled a goal back through Caoimhe O’Shea but it was to be Listowel Celtic’s day.

Daniels Day:

A trick by Man of the Match Daniel Owkute saw Killarney Celtic retain the John Murphy 12’s Cup as they defeated The Park 3-0. Celtic controlled the game and Cain McMahon, Ronan Coffey and Owkute all went close but a combination of Park keeper Sean Broderick and his defence kept Celtic at bay.

In a day that was difficult for keeper Killarney Celtic’s net minder Kealon O’Brien showed great hands when called upon, especially from a John O’Connor effort.

Celtic got the breakthrough on the 18th minute when Cian Doe did very well to force a corner and when Kieran Dennehy swung this in Owkute rose highest to head the ball home. Five minutes into the second half and the same combination made it 2-0 with Owkute lashing the ball home from outside the box to give the Park keeper no chance. Celtic continued to press and only for a superb Sean McGrath clearance off the line the Park could have fallen further behind. The Tralee boys kept pressing to get back into the game and were caught on the break. Ronan Coffey played in Owkute and he slipped the ball under the advancing keeper to wrap up the win. Members of the Murphy family were on hand to present the Cup to Killarney Celtic and the Man of the Match trophy to Daniel Owkute.

John Joe Naughton 13’s Cup and Shield Finals – Mounthawk Park:

McGrath’s Magic wins 13’s Cup:

Named this year in memory of the late St Brendan’s Park stalwart John Joe Naughton it was perhaps apt that it was his old club that took the new Cup home after a 4-0 win over Killorglin. Sean McGrath was the difference between the sides in the first half. His first goal saw him skip past 3 defenders before firing home. He followed this up with a left footed volley. At the other end Gearoid Hassett tried hard to get his side back into the game and he brought a great save from Park keeper Gavin Doody.

Killorglin needed to get the next goal to bring themselves back into game but it was The Park who made it 3-0 with Nathan Gleeson getting himself on the score-sheet. With 15 minutes to go McGrath completed his hat trick, following a Colin Walsh pass. Walsh was named Man of the Match.

Tommy and Mike Naughton and members of the family were on hand to present the gleaming new trophy to the St Brendan’s Park captain Junior.

Athletic’s blitz Ballyheigue in 13’s Shield:

Killarney Athletic’s great experience saw them explode out of the block against a Ballyheigue side who are only two years back in the League. Two early goals from Owen Benson and Damien Switzer put Athletic on the front foot. Benson then made it 3-0 from the penalty spot and by halftime Benson had completed his hat trick to leave Athletic 4 -0 up at the break.

Into the second half and Switzer completed his hat trick but credit to Ballyheigue they never gave up. Their keeper Devon Burns (who was named Man of the Match) made some great saves and with 15 minutes to go they got their reward when the excellent Thomas O’Connor cracked a free kick off the crossbar and Jordan Goggin was quickest to react. 5 minutes later and they got another when David O’Mahony volleyed home. But Athletic certainly deserved their win to send their big crowd of supporters home happy.

Come from behind Celtic take 16’s Cup home:

With Tralee Dynamos and Killarney Celtic both still in contention for the League title a win here would be the first leg of a coveted double. These sides have faced each other on many occasions over their Schoolboy career without their ever being much between them in this final played on the excellent Listowel Celtic pitch.

With the Tucker Kelly Cup up for grabs and Celtic looking to retain it it was Tralee Dynamos that started the brightest. They got the opening goal when Dillon Robinson rose unmarked at the back post to head a free kick home.

Robert Osbourne then made a very good save from Eoin McElligott to keep his side in the game. Killarney Celtic levelled matters in the 18th minute. Simon Driaghi made a great save to keep out a Michael Potts effort. It fell to David Clifford who effort came back off the post and Cian Casey was on hand to knock the ball home.

5 minutes later Celtic were in front. David Clifford played in Mark Harnett who showed great composure to be the keeper. Indeed only for another great Driaghi save Harnett would have a second as the keeper clawed a goal-bound header out from under the crossbar.

The next goal would be vital and it was Celtic who got it 10 minutes into the second half. A Cian Gammell effort after a Celtic corner was cleared off the line but Michael Potts was quickest to react to make it 3-1.

Dynamos kept trying and after Celtic lost a man to a second yellow card Dillon Robinson had two close efforts and then he hit the butt of the post with the last effort of the game. The Dynamos keeper was named man of the match and the Tucker Kelly Cup was presented to Killarney Celtic captain Mark Harnett by Mary and members of the Kelly family.

Chris the star of Shield win:

Fenit proved much to strong for an out of sorts Park side in the 16’s Shield final. Man of the Match Chris Murphy had a day to remember as he ended the day with 4 of his sides 6 goals. The Park were rocked by two goals in 2 minutes when Murphy opened his account in the 10th and 12th minutes. The Park tried to get back into the game but their final pass let them down and they were again undone by another quick fire double. On the half hour Murphy completed his hat trick and 4 minutes later Sean Carmody made it 4-0 to Fenit. There was no way back for Park and in the second half they added two further goals from Murphy and Sean Donnellan.

Munster WFAI 14’s Shield Final:

Killarney Celtic 14’s Girls won the Munster Cup last season and this season’s squad brought home the Shield following a 4-0 win over Tulla United in Charleville.

Kate Murphy opened the scoring from a Hannah Clifford cross and following on 5 minutes later Ciara Randles, who also had a goal disallowed, made it 2-0. Killarney Celtic’s 3rd early in the from Anna Clifford ensured victory and the same player made it 4-0 in the 68th minute to wrap up the win.

Clare tournament success Kennedy Cup squad:

The Kennedy Cup squad continued their preparation for the June tournament by taking part in the Clare tournament. In their first game they drew 0-0 with Limerick Desmonds before defeating Clare 1-0 thanks to a Chris Kane goal.

Next up on the first day, where the games at 40 minutes in duration, was a clash with South Tipperary and here Kerry dug deep and recorded a 3-1 win. Patrick D’Arcy, Mike Lenihan and Caolan Ryan were the scorers.

Onto the Sunday and Kerry had two full games and in the first they had a very good 1-0 win over Waterford with Sebastian Vasiu on the mark.

In their final game Kerry and Athlone drew 3 all to wrap up a long but successful weekend. Darragh O’Donoghue, Caolan Ryan and Patrick D’Arcy were the Kerry scorers in this game.

Overall it was 3 wins and 2 draws for the Kennedy Cup panel which sets them up nicely for the rest of the build-up to June 8th.

Players of the Week:

Because of the amount of games it would not be possible to pick just 11 players for a Team of the Week. So instead here is a list of players that impressed during the week:

Goalkeepers: Devon Burns (Ballyheigue 13’s), Alex O’Connor (Killorglin 14’s) and Simon Driaighi (Tralee Dynamos 16’s).

Outfield players

12’s: Daniel Owkute and Ronan Coffey Killarney Celtic and JJ Murphy Park.

13’s: Tom Doyle Killarney Celtic, Sean McGrath Park, Damien Switzer and Owen Benson Killarney Athletic.

14’s: Dylan Murphy Mastergeeha, Fionn Cahillane, Camp Juniors.

16’s: Chris Murphy, Fenit.