Excitment to the fore as Cups go to the wire.

Double titles for Killarney Celtic and Kingdom Boys and Ballyheigue take 16 Div 1 prize:


Dalys Supervalu 13 Prem: Killarney Celtic 0-1 Kingdom Boys.

Tralee Trophy World 16 Div 1 Shield: Ballyheigue Athletic 3-2 Inter Kenmare

Cup Finals:

11’s Cup Final: Killarney Celtic 1-1 Kingdom Boys AET

                           Killarney Celtic win 6-5 on penalties.

Tom Hayse Memorial 14’s Cup Final: Killarney Celtic 2-3 Kingdom Boys.

Tucker Kelly Memorial 16’s Cup Final: Killarney Athletic 0-3 Killarney Celtic.

FAI Umbro Women’s  Under 16 Cup Round 1 (Munster) : Listowel Celtic 7-1 Glin Rovers.


Daly’s Supervalu 13 Premier: Killarney Celtic 0-1 Kingdom Boys.

In one of the best games seen at Schoolboys level for a long time the Daly’s Supervalu was decided in favour of Kingdom Boys by a moment of brilliance from Rian O’Sullivan.  The Tralee side and Killarney Celtic went into their last game of the season encounter at Celtic Park tied on 25 points from their 9 games.

It was always going to be tight with Cup winners Killarney Celtic hoping to do the double. However mid way through the second half Rian gambled on a corner from the right being over hit, drifted into the box unknown to the Killarney Celtic defenders and when his gamble paid off the ball came over he volleyed it home to give Kingdom Boys a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

The goal proved to be the difference on the night and it gave Kingdom Boys the Daly’s Supervalu 13 Premier title.

Tralee Trophy World 16 Division 1: Ballyheigue Ath 3-2 Inter Kenmare.

Ballyheigue ended their first season in the Kerry Schoolboys Girls League with a trophy as they were crowned 16 Division 1 Shield winners. In their last game of the competition they defeated Inter Kenmare 3-2 thanks to goals from Jordan Brick, Robert Creske and Jer Diggins.

Cup Finals:

11’s Cup Final: Killarney Celtic 1-1 Kingdom Boys AET. Killarney Celtic win 6-5 on penalties.

If anyone thought the excitement at the Champions League final was nail biting they should have been at St Brendan’s Park for the 11’s Cup final.

Kingdom Boys got off to the idea start when they went ahead after only two minutes. A free kick from Cody Murphy caused consternation in the Celtic defence and ended up going into the net off a Celtic defender. Celtic looked to fight straight back and Peter O’Sullivan brought a good save from Stephen Bowler in the Kingdom Boys goal. O’Sullivan then combined with Ryan Kelliher and Michael Lenihan but the chance was snuffed out. Kingdom Boys were now living on breaks and Dara Leen did manage to get a good shot on target but Mark Kelliher was equal to it.

Celtic did get back into the game in the 22nd minute when a long ball was played out from the defence. Ryan Kelliher was very alert and won the race between himself and the keeper and lobbed the ball into an empty net.

Kelliher then brought a good save from Bowler while at the other end Cody Murphy was a constant threat and he saw a good effort saved by Kelliher.

Into the second half and a Cody Murphy corner for Kingdom Boys was headed goal wards by Leo Gaxha and Kelliher did very well to tip it over. Celtic looked the most dangerous and pushed forward and a Darragh Lyne, Ryan Kelliher, Micheal Lenihan passing movement looked like opening up the Kingdom Boys defence but they did just enough to keep the score level.

Leo Gaxha’s on target effort was the last of normal time. 5 minutes each way couldn’t separate the sides although Killarney Celtic had great chances to win it late on. Ryan Kelliher set up Liam Spillane whose volley came back off the post, then Kelliher’s own effort was saved by Bowler. In the last minute Bowler again came to his sides rescue diving full length to his right to push away a great Patrick D’Arcy strike and so onto penalties.

3 penalties each and with Jer Carmody and Cody Murphy scoring for Kingdom Boys and Darragh Lyne and Ryan Kelliher hitting the net for Celtic it was into sudden death.

The standard of the penalties drew gasps from the crowd as the scoring continued tit-for-tat. Gaxha and Peter O’Sullivan traded scores and when Yousef and Liam Spillane were both successful it was 4-4 after 5 penalties. Remember this is a 9-a-side competition and it was onto the next two takers and again Draigi for Kingdom Boys and Adam Kissane both scored to now leave it at 5 all.

Something had to give and the next Kingdom Boys penalty looked like continuing the scoring but with the keeper going the wrong way the ball came back off the post.

All eyes were on Patrick Darcy who showed composure well beyond his years to smash his effort home, sending the large Celtic support into raptures.

However for every winner there has to be a runner up and the huge crowd gave the shattered Kingdom Boys a huge ovation as they left the pitch.

Killarney Celtic’s Peter O’Sullivan was named as Man of the Match and his team mate Darragh Lyne gleefully accepted the 11’s Cup. The match was expertly handled by referee Kevin Cunningham.

Killarney Celtic: Mark Kelliher, Peter O’Sullivan, David Dineen, Darragh Dennehy, Liam Spillane, Michael Lenihan, Patrick Darcy, Ryan Kelliher, Darragh Lyne, Jared Barton, Adam Kissane, David Cantillon, James Darmody, Danny Cronin, Emmet Coleman.

Kingdom Boys: Stephen Bowler, Daniel Draighi, Dylan McHugh, Abbey Yousef, David Rogers, Darragh Leen, Cody Murphy, John Carmody, Leo Gaxha, Danny Broderick, Sonny Riahmani, Luke Murphy, Jer Carmody, Tom Farrell, Tony Duggan, Nemanja Samandzic.

Tom Hayes Memorial 14’s Cup Final: Killarney Celtic 2-3 Kingdom Boys:

2-0 down at half time, your keeper going off with a dislocated bone in his wrist and being totally out-played – even the most die-hard Kingdom Boys fan must have feared for their side.

Killarney Celtic totally dominated the first period and got their first in the 16th minute when a long ball saw Dion Marcos get to the ball before Conor Hurley and loop the ball home. Celtic continued to have most of the possession and crate the best chances. A Dion Marcos run and cross came out to Peter Murphy who hit a stinging volley, only for Hurley to make a great save.

For Kingdom Boys on the rare occasions they went forward it was Cian Liston, Ferdia O’Brien and Sam Tarrant who were the main threats. Rian O’Sullivan was carrying an injury, a legacy of the mid week game but still showed how dangerous he can be, finding some good passes but David Spillane in the Killarney Celtic goal was never really troubled in the first period.

Celtic had the ball in the net again in the 30th minute but an indirect free kick went all the way into the K Boys goal without a touch and was rightly ruled out.

However it was only a matter of minutes before Celtic made it 2-0. A Cian Gammell cross was expertly headed home by Peter McCarthy.

Whatever the Kingdom Boys management said at half time worked a threat. They also had a great performance from reserve keeper Simon Lonergan who came on for the injured Hurley. In an aside everyone hopes the Kennedy Squad member’s wrist injury is not too serious.

Right from the off Kingdom Boys went at Celtic and only a last- ditch tackle by Luke Doran prevented Rian O’Sullivan from getting in on goal.

In the 47th minute the comeback began when Sam Tarrant found Ferdia O’Brien who made it 2-1. Lonergan really proved his worth straight after this. He parried a long range effort and Celtic sub Mark Harnett got his foot to it but Lonergan showed great bravery at the striker’s feet to just get the ball away. Had it gone to 3-1 it would probably be game over but at 2-1 Kingdom Boys knew they were still well in the game and the levelled matters on the 55th minute when Cian Liston got the goal from a header that his efforts merited.

For some reason Celtic had lost some of their shape and left much too large a gap between midfield and their lone striker with Harnett finding very little support any time he got the ball. On one occasion he found Mathews but he shot was too high.

It looked like the game was destined for extra time but Stefan Okabul had other ideas. Celtic were unable to clear the ball and a Kingdom Boys series of passes eventually found its way to Stefan who made no mistake from six years to put his side 3-2 up with seconds remaining.

Referee Mike Dempsey blew the final whistle shortly afterwards leading to joyous scenes for the Tralee side and their supporters and leaving Celtic to question what happened in that second period.

But credit must go to Kingdom Boys who kept to playing, got themselves back into the game and with that momentum pushed on and got the win. Killarney Celtic will have to be content with the League title.

Killarney Celtic: David Spillane, Chris O’Donoghue, David Clifford, Dara Moynihan, Luke Doran, Peter McCarthy, Dion Marcos, Gary Mathews, Conor McCarthy, Cian Gammell, Mikey Moynihan, Jack Galvin, Stephen McCarthy, Casper Malinowski, Mark Harnett, Getis Eithanthiou.

Kingdom Boys: Conor Hurley, Jonathan Myers, Peter Kearney, Dara Divine, Seguin Duylie, Ferdia O’Brien, Seamus Looney, Stefan Okanbul, Cian Liston, Rian O’Sullivan, Sam Tarrant, Joe Hoare, Owen Gunn, Simon Lonergan, Ronan Duggan.

Referee Mike Dempsey. Assistants Brian Moynihan and Kevin Cunningham.

Tucker Kelly Memorial 16’s Cup Final: Killarney Athletic 0-3 Killarney Celtic.

Killarney Celtic went into this final at Woodlawn having already won the League and were odds on favourites to defeat their neighbours whom they had beaten in the League.

But Athletic were a much tougher opponent on this occasion and with Danny Sheehan excellent really put it up to Celtic. However once Liam Carey added a second to Brian O’Connell’s opener Athletic knew they were really up against it.

Once Michael Moynihan added a third in the second half there was no way back for the Woodlawn side and Killarney Celtic wrapped up the double and accepted the Tucker Kelly Cup from Mary Kelly on behalf of the relatives of Underage soccer legend, the late Tucker Kelly.

FAI Umbro Women’s 16 Cup Round 1 (Munster): Listowel Celtic 7-1 Glin Rovers.

With three teams to progress to the open draw from Munster Listowel Celtic 16’s Girls put them one win away from a place in the Last 8 with a 7-1 win over Glin Rovers.

Rebecca Horgan top scored with a hat trick while Aoife Shine and Savanah McCarthy both got two each. However it could have been different if Listowel Celtic keeper Charlotte O’Neill hadn’t made a wonderful double save to keep the score at 2-1.